- Contemplative Watercolor, series of classes starting September 9, 2019 at the Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center (Iowa City, IA): This course will be taught mostly by some of my talented former students (I organized the course and will stop in as my schedule allows). For information see The Center’s Fall 2019 Program Guide (PDF, approx. 6.1 MB) or online registration page.
- Watercolor Workshop, Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at Lutheran Church of the Master (Omaha, NE), coordinated by Omaha artist & art teacher Barbara Bishop. See the Omaha Artists, Inc. “Opportunities” page for details.
- Blissful Watercolor Painting, series of classes starting October 3, 2019 at Beréskin Gallery & Art Academy (Bettendorf, IA)
- Watercolor Workshop, Saturday, October 12, 2019 at Octagon Center for the Arts (Ames, IA)
- Contact me (email firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to plan a class, workshop, or retreat.
- Thursdays through September 19, 2019: Art, music, and food at La Poste (Perry, IA) — see the IWS Annual Exhibition information below
- Sunday, September 22, 2019: Iowa Watercolor Society Annual Luncheon and Meeting (La Poste, Perry, IA) — see the IWS Annual Exhibition information below
- Ongoing: ArtiFactory’s Life Drawing Drop-In sessions are usually held twice a month — see the ArtiFactory’s website for more information (I’m not teaching at these sessions).
- Iowa Watercolor Society Annual Exhibition — select dates and times through September 22, 2019 at La Poste (Perry, IA)
- Ceramic Story Wall at St. Thomas Aquinas Church (Ames, IA)
- Amana, IA: Catiri’s Art Oasis (319-622-3969; bird prints, some original watercolors)
- Ames, IA: Octagon Center for the Arts (515-232-5331; pillows, prints, stretched fabric print and some original watercolors when available)
- Ames, IA: Wheatsfield Co-op (515-232-4094; cards when available)
- Bettendorf, IA: Beréskin Gallery & Art Academy (563-508-4630; some original watercolors)
- Burlington, IA: Art Center of Burlington (319-754-8069; bird prints, cards, some original watercolors)
- Iowa City, IA: Iowa Artisans Gallery (319-351-8686)
- West Des Moines, IA: Artisan Gallery 218 (515-255-0218)
- Online: You can order Creating for a Cause products online at Shop to Shelter for Lila Mae’s House (external website, shoptoshelter.com)
Thursdays, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
October 3, 10, 17, and 24, 2019
Beréskin Gallery & Art Academy
2967 State St
Bettendorf IA 52722
Phone (563) 508-4630
$150.00 for the series
(supplies not included)
Watercolor painting is gentle and unburdened, alluring us with colors, shapes and exciting compositions if we act intuitively and let the painting paint itself, honoring those ‘happy accidents.’ I’ll begin with drawing and composition, concentrating on value and overlapping shapes for distance making. I will demonstrate each week color mixing with 3 colors on the paper to give a fresh, lively effect stressing a cool or warm dominance. I will also show layering, glazing, wet-in-wet and salt resist. I will provide handouts on flowers, landscapes, trees and my favorite, birds and chickens. If we don’t take ourselves too seriously, we learn more while we are having fun and, yes, unburdened.
Bring watercolor supplies you have on hand to the first class and I will provide a supply list for you to consider purchasing. I will have 22″ x 30″ sheets of 140 lb. Arches watercolor paper available for sale at $5.50 each. See the class page on Beréskin’s website to register.
Saturday, October 12, 2019
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 pm
Octagon Center for the Arts
427 Douglas Ave
Ames IA 50010
Phone (515) 232-5331
Join me in exploring the fluid and magical medium, watercolor. I’ll guide students with demonstrations on how to paint neighborhoods, backyards, etc. inhabited by people, giving artwork a sense of place. The fall season will be used as a backdrop, taking note of its long lingering shadows and brilliant warm colors. There will be focus on color mixing, composition, value and putting down big shapes first.
Bring watercolor supplies you have on hand. Some loaded paint pans and brushes for beginners will be available, if needed. Students will be given one sheet of 22″ x 30″ 140 lb. Arches watercolor paper. Bring a sack lunch if you wish! See the Octagon registration page to sign up.
See description below
1219 Warford St
Perry IA 50220
I’m honored to have two of my paintings in this year’s Iowa Watercolor Society (IWS) Annual Exhibition at La Poste. They join the work of artists from across Iowa, in a wide range of styles. A smaller set of these paintings will be chosen to join the IWS’s 2019-2020 Traveling Show which travels to art centers around the state.
IWS members are signing up to paint at La Poste on Thursdays through September 19 (4 p.m. –8 p.m.) and make the exhibit available for viewing — you can see who’s scheduled on the Painting at La Poste page. Plus, there will be live music and food to complement the visual show — see La Poste’s Facebook page for each week’s musical artist and menu. (The building is open for scheduled events or by appointment.)
The artwork will be at La Poste until just after the IWS Annual Luncheon and Meeting on Sunday, September 22. You don’t have to be a member to go to the luncheon and get to know fellow artists! Details are on the Luncheon and Meeting signup page; register by September 9.
Noted watercolorist and teacher Alexis Lavine will serve as judge for this year’s Exhibition and will give an art demonstration after the luncheon on September 22.
St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Catholic Student Center
2210 Lincoln Way
Ames IA 50014
Phone (515) 292-3810
STA Art on the church website
Stories from the Bible depicted in a tableau 20 feet high.